SIGA EUROPE, the European branch of the world’s leading sport integrity coalition, is announcing its high-level senior Advisory Board today.
Expanding SIGA vision and mission, acting locally and thinking globally are the guiding lines of the new subsidiary, which will be responsible for ushering European sport into a new era of greater integrity, with enhanced governance, transparency, and accountability.
Established as a non-for-profit organisation, SIGA EUROPE focuses on four strategic priorities:
- Implementation of the SIGA reform agenda across Europe, including the SIGA Universal Standards on Sport Integrity and the SIGA Independent Rating and Verification System – SIRVS;
- Development of thought Leadership Projects related to SIGA’s core strategic areas;
- Fostering cooperation with the Sports Movement, Governments, International Organisations, Global Business and Civil Society; and
- Delivering Training, Education and Capacity Building Services on Sport Integrity as a service to Sport and its wider ecosystem.
The inception of SIGA EUROPE earlier this year inspired the appointment of a high-level Advisory Board, following SIGA AMERICA’s footsteps, whose Advisory Board was announced earlier this week.
Chaired by Sir David Richards, former Chairman of the English Premier League, co-founder and former Chairman of the European Leagues and World Leagues Association, the Advisory Board will provide strategic guidance and independent advice to SIGA EUROPE’s leadership on relevant matters and projects, and support the implementation of the organisation’s vision, mission, and global reform agenda.
The SIGA EUROPE Advisory Board is composed of:
- Sir David Richards: Former Chairman of the English Premier League | Co-founder and former Chairman of the European Leagues and World Leagues Association
- Kate Beavan: Former Global Director of Hospitality and Experiences, Formula 1
Members: (alphabetical order)
- Angela Smith: Chair, Stoke City Supporters Council | World Champion Squash
- Lord Jonathan Marland: Chair, Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council | Member of the House of Lords | Former UK Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy, Minister for Energy and Climate Change and Business, Innovation and Skills
- Louis Saha: Football legend (former Manchester United and French National Team Footballer) | Founder and CEO, AxisStars | SIGA Champion
- Miguel Cardenal: Former Secretary of State of Youth and Sport, Spain; Director of Business Development, Mediapro
- Richard Caborn: Former Minister of Sport, UK
- Rosa Mota: 2 times Marathon Olympic Medalist, 1 time World champion, 3 times European Champion | SIGA Champion
- Viktoria Slavkova: Chair, Advisory Group on International Cooperation, Committee on Safety & Security, Sports Events, Council of Europe | Member, Finance & Administration Committee WADA
- Rui Boticas Santos: Lawyer | President, International Tribunal & Judge, International Court of Appeal, FIA | Official Arbitrator, CAS
Commenting on the launch of the Advisory Board, Emanuel Macedo de Medeiros, Executive Chairman of SIGA EUROPE and Global CEO of SIGA, stated:
“It is with a sense of pride that I warmly welcome the elite group of senior leaders that committed to join SIGA EUROPE Advisory Board. Together, with their knowledge and expertise, we will be make substantial progress in our fight for clean sport. Together, we will strive to implement SIGA’s reform agenda in Europe, and be the dynamo of the most needed reform. European sports fans demand integrity in sport, and we will be there for them, leading the way for Sport Integrity in Europe. ”
Commenting on his appointment, Sir David Richards stated:
“I am proud to be the Chair of the SIGA EUROPE Advisory Board. Given my in-depth knowledge of European football, I know all too well the challenges facing sport. There is a need for an independent organisation such as SIGA to ensure a global regulatory framework that promotes the highest integrity standards across the industry. I look forward to working with SIGA, because sport without integrity doesn’t embody its values of fair play & team work.”
Deputy-Chair Kate Beaven, with unrivalled knowledge of Formula 1, commented her appointment:
“I am delighted and honoured to join the SIGA EUROPE Advisory Board. In a super connected world there is almost no one on the planet who is not a fan and a consumer of one Sport or another. This puts sport and all and each of us in a unique position of influence. With this influence comes an ever-growing responsibility to use it wisely and carefully and responsibly. Sport is at a crossroads in demonstrating its relevance to the world, society and to stakeholders, who are more aware and active than they have ever been before. For this reason, I stand with SIGA and support its aims and objectives wholeheartedly. I cannot wait to see the work being done.”
SIGA is the world´s largest coalition in the field of sport´s governance and integrity. Supported by more than 100 international multi-industry supporters, SIGA is an independent and neutral organisation whose mission is to bring about meaningful reforms and enhance the integrity of all sports through a set of universal standards operated by an independent and neutral body. SIGA is the only organisation to bring together sport, governments, academia, international organisations, sponsors, business, rights holders, NGOs and professional services companies, from every region in the world, around a common cause of fostering greater integrity throughout sport.
- Click on the hyperlinks for the list of SIGA Members and Committed Supportersand SIGA Partners.
- For more information on SIGA, including its vision, mission and reform agenda, please refer to the website: siga-sport.com.
- To contact SIGA, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow SIGA on:
- Twitter at https://twitter.com/SIGAlliance,
- Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/sigalliance/?hl=en
- LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/sigalliance/.